What is Packapalooza?
For homecoming parades, game-day victories, graduation, and photos at the Belltower, Hillsborough Street is where NC State celebrates. It has been for generations. So what better place to throw the biggest event in a year-long celebration of NC State’s 125th anniversary? Join us on Hillsborough Street on Saturday, August 18, for Packapalooza, an all-day block party and street festival capping off Wolfpack Welcome Week.
We will have everything it takes to celebrate in NC State style, including great music, activities throughout the day, and fun entertainment for the whole family. This event has been planned by the NC State 125th Anniversary Committee, the NC State Union Activities Board and the Hillsborough Street Community Service Corporation.
August 18, 2012
2 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Hillsborough Street (from Pogue Street to the roundabout near the Memorial Belltower)
Free and open to the public
Bring a can of food to donate to NC State's new Food Pantry. Drop off locations will be in the Greek Village area between Gardner and Pogue Streets along with the Information Tent at Hillsborough and Horne Streets.
To get involved or volunteer in the festival, visit tinyurl.com/packapalooza.
From 2pm - 6:30pm, visit over 160 booths and vendors from NC State and the local community along Hillsborough Street.
Belltower Stage and Wolfpack Zone
- 1:45 p.m.: Kick off to Packapalooza with the NC State Marching Band, the Air Force ROTC, and NC State Pipe and Drums at the Belltower
- 2:00 p.m.: Athletic Department Volleyball autograph session in the Wolfpack Zone
- 2:00-3:30 p.m.: Liquid Pleasure performs on the Belltower Stage
- 3:00 p.m.: Athletic Department Gymnastics autograph session in the Wolfpack Zone
- 3:30-4:00 p.m.: Athletic Department Tuffy the mascot dog appearance at the Belltower
- 4:00-5:30 p.m.: Mamas Love performs on the Belltower Stage
- 4:30 p.m.: Athletic Department Women’s Soccer autograph session in the Wolfpack Zone
- 5:30 p.m.: Air Force Enlistment Ceremony on the Belltower Stage
- 5:30 p.m.: Athletic Department Women’s Basketball autograph session in the Wolfpack Zone
- 5:45 p.m.: NC State Coaches’ Corner project display on the Belltower Stage
- 6:00-7:30 p.m.: Leela James performs on the Belltower Stage
- 6:30 p.m.: Athletic Department Baseball autograph session in the Wolfpack Zone
- 7:00 p.m.: Athletic Department Coach Tom O’Brien and football team autograph session in the Wolfpack Zone
- 7:30 p.m.: Recognition of Athletics Hall of Fame
- 7:40 p.m.: Recognition of Baseball
- 7:50 p.m.: Recognition of Football
- 8:00 p.m.: Athletic Highlight Video
- 8:15 p.m.: Happy Birthday NC State - 125 years of transformation
- 8:30-9:45 p.m.: Carolina Liar performs on the Belltower Stage
- 10 p.m.: Light the Belltower Red
Stop by the Wolfpack Zone to sign up for a tour of the Belltower.
- 2:00-2:45 p.m.: Colandra McDowell
- 3:00-3:15 p.m.: Just Cuz Crew
- 3:30-4:15 p.m.: Brad Gibson Band
- 4:30-4:45 p.m.: Acappology
- 4:45-5:00 p.m.: Sube Ritmo Latin Dance Team
- 5:00-5:45 p.m.: Jamie Purnell Band
- 6:00-6:15 p.m.: JuiceBox Stereo
- 6:15-6:20 p.m.: AB da best and Rizio
- 6:20-6:30 p.m.: Fusion Dance Crew
- 6:30-6:40 p.m.: DanceVisions
All times are subject to change. Any changes will be posted online and at all information tents and stages.
Components of the Festival
Throughout the day you will have opportunities to learn about NC State’s traditions, including the history of the Belltower and what makes it chime. We’ll also show how we are making an academic impact on the world around us and unveil phase two of the Coaches’ Corner. Established in 2009, the Coaches’ Corner honors the accomplishments of NC State’s most admired athletics coaches.
A festival would not be complete without food. Restaurants and merchants along Hillsborough Street are looking forward to helping celebrate NC State’s 125th anniversary. There will also be fair foods like turkey legs, roasted corn, and deep-fried candy bars. And, of course, Howling Cow ice cream!
The weather for Packapalooza is going to be steamy, so we will have various locations along Hillsborough Street distributing free water. Three locations (Arts Zone, Sports Zone, and Enterprise near Sadlacks will have sustainable Blue Green Water filtration trailers. Feel free to bring your own refillable water bottles.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime event you will not want to miss. Join NC State University as we celebrate 125 years of history.
NC State and the local community are committed to sustainability, and we want to showcase how the University is leading the way. Take a look at an alternative vehicle showcase, learn something about recycling, or just hang out in the misting tent.
Paint, clay, chalk, theater, and fire hooping will all be a part of our Arts Zone. Whether you enjoy mixed media or dance we will have something for you. This will also be a great time to connect with local artisans. A local artist from the Roundabout Art Gallery will be painting a special commemorative piece during the event.
NC State has a rich athletic history. Experience the tradition by meeting Wolfpack athletes and Tuffy, our living mascot. Learn about gameday activities, the loyalty program and The Wolfpack Club. The GoPack Store will be on hand to meet your NC State apparel needs. This Zone would not be complete without our amazing Alumni Association.
The Sports Zone will feature water activities, including a roaring rapids water slide and a huge water balloon battle, so bring your bathing suit and towel! You can also try your hand at chipping golf balls, hitting baseballs, playing video games, or bouncing on a bungee trampoline. Our own University Recreation department will help get you in the mood to be active.
We attract students, faculty, and staff from every part of the world. Come learn about the different cultures that make up our global community. Watch some of our amazing students as they perform and share talents from all the continents we call home.
Public Safety Zone
Have you ever seen a fire truck up close? How about a police canine dog? We will have just the opportunity for you to engage with our Public Safety partners in the City of Raleigh and on campus. You will also have the opportunity to engage with police, EMS, and military organizations. NC State prides itself on being a leader in public safety!
After Event on Hillsborough Street
At the end of Carolina Liar’s performance and the lighting of the Belltower red, everyone attending Packapalooza is invited to stay and enjoy the rest of the night on Hillsborough Street. Many restaurants and stores will remain open. Many of your favorite Hillsborough Street hang out locations will have music and other entertainment for your enjoyment long into the evening.
East Village Grill, 10 PM - 2 AM - Chelsea and Kevin Live and Unplugged Acoustic
Chile Bomba Mexican Eatery, 10 PM - 2 AM - DJ Santo
Pita Pit, 10 PM - 3AM/Close - Any Pita Special for $4.99 on Sat. Aug. 18th or Sunday 19th
Two Guys/The Key - 10:30 PM - 2AM - Supatight
HotBox Pizza - 12AM - 3AM - $1 slices of pizza
Sadlacks - 10:15PM - 2AM - Dave Wright Band
Melvins' - 10:15PM - 2AM - Max Bender Band
Shakedown Street - 10PM - 2AM - Flux Capacitor and the McLions
- US Bank
- NC State Student Media Authority
- Red Hat
- Progress Energy
- Wolfpack Club
- Student Government
- Inter-Residence Council
- Sir Speedy
- NC State University Dining
- Electric Company Mall
- E. Scooter City
- Large and Small Graphics
- NC State Facility Operations
- NC State University Housing
- NC State Transportation
- NC State University Recreation
- NC State Greek Life
- Grand Rental Station
- McLaurin Parking
- Raleigh Police Department
- Interactive Playgrounds
- Schoolkids Records
- The Caraway Management Group
- Ultimate Entertainment
- Earthquake Productions
- Rob Baumgart & Bell Tower Parking
- NC State Athletic Department
- NC State Police Department
- The Roberts Group
- NC State Bookstore
- Velvet Entertainment
- Stay Alert Safety Services Inc.
Hillsborough Street Merchants Participating
- Jimmy John's
- Two Guys Pizza
- The Keg
- The Alley
- Chile Bomba
- FreshBerry Frozen Yogurt
- Savage and Heads Tattoo and Body Piercing
- Sugar Magnolia
- Schoolkids Records
- Sadlack's Heroes
- HotBox Pizza
- Porter's City Tavern
- Global Village Organic Coffee
- Destination Tans
- Planet Smoothie
- Bruegger's Bagels
- Wing Zone
- Alexander Family YMCA
- The Pita Pit
- The Brickhouse Sports Pub
- Neebo Complete College Outfitters
- BB&T Bank
- East Village
- E. Scooter City
Please visit merchants during the event and remember to stop by throughout the year. Hillsborough Street is a part of NC State’s history and very support of our campus community.
Persons with a disability who desire any assistive devices, services, or other accommodations to participate in this program should contact the Union Activities Board (UAB) at 919.515.5918, monday-friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to discuss accommodations.